Welcome to the weekly Rumor Look Back, where we take a look back at the rumors from six months ago and see what played out as originally stated. Let’s jump straight to that.
July 15, 2022
- Regarding the ongoing story about WWE raw Possibly losing TV’s PG rating, Sean Ross Sapp claims “there were mixed signals given internally” about the decision at USA Network. For what it’s worth, Fightful hasn’t heard of changing the direction of WWE programming.
- They never changed the rating.
- Brian Alvarez of Wrestling Observer Radio said that Matt Jackson of the Young Bucks suffered an injury about three to five minutes into the main match for the Tag Team Championship on the present day. dynamite. He was hit in a “basic vertical suplex” from Powerhouse Hobbs and Keith Lee.
- PW Insider has confirmed that WWE is introducing new ring names for the Grizzled Young Veterans in NXT. James Drake will now be Jagger Reed, and Zack Gibson will now be Rip Fowler.
- This is the situation. They are part of the defection faction. (1/1)
- Dave Meltzer The Observer mentioned that WWE always planned Lacey Evans to turn heel, it was just a matter of deciding when the right time to move.
- They didn’t really commit to one thing or the other. She has another repack on our way!
- Meltzer also noted that it might be “difficult for WWE to use” top prospect AJ Ferrari, since he is now under investigation for sexual assault that caused him to be removed from the Oklahoma state wrestling team. Ferrari is generally seen as WWE’s second-best prospect in their NIL program, with Olympic gold medalist Gable Stevenson ranked first.
- Sexual assault allegations have never stopped WWE. Gable Stevenson, who was mentioned as his best client allegations He will not be held accountable for it. Riddle has a large number of them. And of course, you know, the majority owner who swept his way back has allegations against him.
July 16, 2022
- According to the Wrestling Observer Newsletter, Triple H has “never done anything directly with NXT”. When Triple H visited the Performance Center last month and said he was back, he obviously meant he was back working the WWE office. Triple H was not at the Tuesday night tapings; Shawn Michaels still runs NXT.
- NXT is Shawn’s baby.
- The Observer says FTR versus Young Bucks for all tag belts was never the plan. This was partly because AEW had no control over booking the AAA and IWGP titles, and partly because of another planned “major angle” for The Bucks.
- What is this angle? I wouldn’t say they have a major angle – unless you include the real life angle of their fight with CM Punk. (Definitely not one that could be better than an FTR belt collector angle seal). It feels like a never-ending missed opportunity with AEW’s titles on FTR’s shoulders because they’ve been collecting them around the world. They were hot white faces. It would have been massive if they had won the titles from the heel Bucks at this time. (0/1)
- During an interview on the True Geordie Podcast, Chris Jericho mentioned that AEW wrestler Santana will be sidelined eight months after suffering a horrific knee injury at Blood & Guts.
- Unfortunately, we are still waiting for it.
- Io Shirai trained at the Performance Center again, and WON now says her goal in coming to WWE is to make it to the main roster, so she’d likely stay if offered a main roster deal.
- She’s a major talent in WWE right now. (1/1)
- While signing autographs at K&S WrestleFest, Billy Gunn was asked about the possibility of Road Dogg coming to AEW. He replied, “We’re trying to get him here.”
- This did not happen. Doug didn’t help his case.
July 18, 2022
- According to PW Insider, Bayley is set to be in Nashville for summerslam later this month.
- That was her big comeback. (1/1)
- Sticking with Insider, they say WSJ, who have been all over the Vince McMahon hush money story, are still following more and trying to contact former WWE performers.
- It caused a brief resignation but he returned to reassert his authority.
- They also say that other mainstream media are working on the stories, significantly Real Sport with Bryant Gumbel.
- This did not amount to anything. (0/1)
- Fightful Select says there are no plans to stop using Ortiz with Santana’s injury over the next nine months or so.
- This is difficult because technically, he’s right. But he hasn’t been on TV much at all, especially wrestling on YouTube shows. I’ll mark it as correct, but it definitely doesn’t display like it used to. (1/1)
- Kurt Angle mentioned on his AdFreeShows podcast that WWE has bought the rights to his documentary and it will air on Peacock next year.
- I guess we’ll need to wait and see.
July 19, 2022
- While his appearance on the show has not been confirmed, Fightful Select says WWE will bring Edge to New York next Monday raw At Madison Square Garden.
- It didn’t look like he was on this show. (0/1)
- On Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer reports that Ric Flair has suffered a foot injury recently, but it’s not bad enough to rule him out of his “last match” on July 31.
- It might have been better if that had happened.
- According to PW Insider, Gallows & Anderson are no longer under contract with Impact after last Saturday’s filing and are “free and clear” to sign with anyone. Their immediate focus will be on working in New Japan, but they will work on impact dates when possible.
- This was accurate for two months until they signed with WWE. (1/1)
- Tony Khan is “very excited” for the new Trust Busters group that debuted on Dark Records this past weekend, per Meltzer on WOR. Ariya Daivari plays a character whose trust fund just came through, and he uses his money to hire Parker Boudreaux and Slim J. It’s not clear if the group will be used in AEW or ROH going forward.
- This team has rarely appeared on television. Parker is now part of the stable Swerve’s Mogul Affiliates.
- On his podcast, Kurt Angle confirmed rumors that both his show about The Age of Cruel Aggression with Booker T and Sharmell and the final angle where Jason Jordan was revealed as his son Vince McMahon’s “ribs” turned into storylines after he “caught wind of the McMahons” A couple of African American women’s past.
- Vince baby.
July 20, 2022
- Fightful Select notes that Kenny Omega is close to returning and will likely return very soon.
- He returned after about a month. (1/1)
- Furthermore, they say there are tentative plans for Omega to team up with The Young Bucks for a match at Everyone out in September.
- This is the situation. They have fought CM Punk and Ace Steel in any locker room match. Oh and she won the Trios titles on PPV. (1/1)
- According to WrestleVotes, there are some in WWE who “really don’t like summerslam Card.”
- It ended up being a really good show.
- In a recent Q&A on Twitter Space, Daniel Cormier claimed that WWE had approached him to do something with NXT superstars The Creed Brothers but weren’t able to make it work.
- One day Cormier will do more with WWE. He refereed the Riddle/Rollins Fit Pit in a feud that had a role in one of Cormier’s from the UFC.
- On Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer said the injury suffered by Rey Fenix frenzy He is not serious and should not miss any time.
- Looks like he didn’t miss the time. (1/1)
July 21, 2022
- On Wrestling Observer Live, Bryan Alvarez said of Edge’s impending return to WWE: “I think he’s already an R-rated Superstar, so I’m sure he’ll come back as an R-rated superstar. Now what does it mean to be a babyface?” [or as] Heel I do not know.
- Yes, he’s back as his former self and as a babyface. (1/1)
- For what it’s worth, despite speculation that WWE may be using Cora Jade’s actions on Tuesday as a way to phase out the belts, the company still lists the NXT Women’s Championship on its website with Roxanne Perez and “Vacant” as the current title holders.
- They are still playing
- Andrew Zarian noted summerslam It was listed with a TV-14 rating on Peacock yesterday afternoon. As of this writing, it has been converted back to TV-PG.
- WWE doesn’t need to be TV-14 to be good. It just has to be… good.
- Brandon Thurston of Wrestlenomics notes that as of Tuesday (July 19) the WWE Store is officially run by fanatics. A deal between the two companies was announced earlier this year.
- The fanatics have their hands in many different companies.
- WWE recently filed trademarks for several names, most of which are already in use on television: Michael Cole, Byron Saxton, Kayla Braxton, Ryan Tran, Jessica Carr, Megan Morant, Mike Roma, Gunther, Mr. Stone, and Maxine Dupree.
- Were some of these names off-brand or were they revamping a collection?
This week: 9/12 – 75% off
Total: 4,436 / 7,784 – 57.0%
Have a great week, everyone!