It’s not news that the health industry is filled with misinformation. Whether it comes from supplement peddlers of pseudoscience or fake natties touting the benefits of living like a hunter-gatherer, the fitness space can be difficult to navigate (and especially for newbies). who arrived). Who can you trust and who is trying to seem trustworthy, but just wants to sell you something? So my guest, Tony Coffey of Train Bloom, and I talk about this podcast interview.
Tony is a coach, teacher, public speaker, and a prominent voice in the evidence-based fitness space on social media, so we’re proud to have him as a Legion Athlete. This is also why he is the perfect guest to discuss fitness red flags because so much of what goes wrong in the fitness industry is spread on social media.
In this interview, Tony and I discuss . . .
- “Red flags” and “green flags” when it comes to health influencers
- The rise of social media, why it’s so easy to find misinformation, and the difficulty of finding reliable information
- The problem with absolutism
- The importance of looking at counter arguments and being open to changing your mind
- The development of evidence-based fitness and “abstract surfers” and “Pubmedders”
- And so on. . .
So, if you’re interested in knowing what’s wrong with the fitness industry and how to navigate the social media landscape to find trustworthy people to follow and content consumption, check out this podcast and let me know your thoughts!
16:15 – What are some red flags you see on social media?
45:49 – What are some red flags around fat loss?
Mentioned in the show:
Tony’s website: trainbloom.com
What did you think of this episode? Got something else to share? Let me know in the comments below!
The post Ep. #1018: Tony Coffey on Countering Fitness Misinformation appeared first on Legion Athletics.