Speculating on rumors surrounding professional wrestling is a favorite pastime of many fans, perhaps second only to actually watching the matches. In this daily column, we take a look at the latest rumors sparked by the professional wrestling rumor mill.
Important reminder: rumors are just rumours. None of this has been confirmed as fact, it’s just circulating around the professional wrestling rumor mill. We track the accuracy of the rumors in a weekly feature called Rumor Look Back which you can find here. Remember, take it all with a grain of salt.
Rumors of the day:
- according to Wrestling NewsletterVince McMahon has not participated in creative meetings since returning to WWE, nor has he appeared on any television tapings. McMahon had previously been known to work extremely late hours, but “now leaves work at normal time due to his duties being reduced”.
- The Observer notes that people supportive of Stephanie within WWE say she chose to step down after her father returned because she expected to be demoted anyway, and she actually made the decision when she took time off last year that she didn’t need the work or the money.
- Dave Meltzer wrote that, as of two days ago, Ronda Rousey was not scheduled to compete in the women’s Royal Rumble match. She wasn’t booked for the show because WWE “didn’t want to sideline her star power by just being the person in the match because she wouldn’t win it or be the focal point.”
- Meltzer adds that Charlotte Flair is not currently scheduled to be in the Royal Rumble match either, despite rumors to the contrary.
- Choose a fight Kenny Omega says he’s been off AEW television for the past two weeks dealing with visa issues. Wrestling Observer Live’s Brian Alvarez claimed that visa problems nearly caused Kenny to miss his seventh match against the Triangle of Death for the AEW World Trios Titles. It’s over for now, Alvarez says, and Omega is expected to return to television next week.
- Wardlaw left AEW television due to an injury, which is why they staged the angle on December 28 where Samoa Joe attacked him with a steel pipe and cut his hair. The injury is not expected to keep Wardlow out for long.
- PW from the inside Says Matthew Drew is the latest executive to leave WWE. He came from DAZN to join WWE in June 2021 with the official title of Senior International Vice President. It is unknown if he decided to leave on his own, or if WWE fired him.
If you have heard any interesting rumors that you would like to add, feel free to post them in the comments section below. Just remember that they are rumors and not confirmed as fact, so please take it as such. And check out the weekly rumors, look back here To track the validity of the rumors.