Welcome to the weekly Rumor Look Back, where we take a look back at the rumors from six months ago and see what played out as originally stated. Let’s jump straight to that.
July 8, 2022
- After multiple outlets reported that Bayley will be returning to WWE TV soon, PW Insider claims she was seen at the WWE Performance Center in Orlando for “several days earlier this week.”
- She returned at SummerSlam. (1/1)
- Insider also reported that WWE has officially transferred Liv Morgan to WWE SmackDown existing.
- This is the situation. (1/1)
- Despite AOP’s Wrestling Entertainment Series Blame it on talent to cancel their first show, Fightful states that the show was in fact canceled due to “bad management and poor ticket sales.”
- It was a complete mess.
- WrestleVotes was told that Pat McAfee actually signed a long-term contract extension with WWE “a few weeks ago.” WWE knows how good he is and has made sure to keep him around.
- Not sure if he’ll come back to comment. Maybe he’ll have a match a few times a year.
- on him Oh…you don’t know podcast, Road Dogg, the former WWE star, stated that he is in talks with a “wrestling company about doing something.”
- It seems very legitimate. Road Dogg once again made his return to WWE, but that was after his colleague Triple H took over. Before that, he was begging Tony Khan for a job.
July 9, 2022
- A WWE source told Fightful Select that Vince McMahon yelled “FUCK EM!” When he got backstage after his June 17 appearance SmackDownthe day he stepped down as CEO and chairman of WWE after the Wall Street Journal’s initial report on the investigation into his alleged sexual misconduct.
- This is the least surprising. He has already found his way to the board of directors after resigning.
- Dennis Salcedo has been told that the Vince McMahon Netflix documentary series has been pulled from the Netflix programming schedule. The project was said to be in post-production, with millions of dollars spent on it. “This shit got out of here,” said a source at Netflix.
- Yes, nothing on that front. Jet article about a man who just quit after several allegations of sexual assault and fun misappropriation is not the way to go.
- Everyone Fightful spoke to in WWE thought John Laurinaitis was done with the company, but he’d be taken care of with a golden parachute deal.
- It’s gone, but I can’t speak to any golden parachute deal. He was recently pulled from signing because fans were so upset he was involved. Which is totally fair. He deserves absolutely no sympathy. But his alleged partner in crime faced no consequences and returned to work. Some people seem to get away with everything. (1/1)
- Fans are starting to notice signs that WWE is out of Sasha Banks’ business. One of Paige’s Greatest Moments Banks Video edits from Paige’s 2017 comeback, Sasha is no longer available as a user profile picture on Peacock.
- There were some hopes that she would return after leaving Vince, but this did not work out and she went to Japan instead. I thought she would return to WWE after that, but with Vince’s takeover, I think that’s less likely.
- NXT’s next special broadcast is tentatively scheduled to air on either Saturday, August 20 or Saturday, August 27, according to the Wrestling Observer newsletter.
- They don’t seem to have a special offer in August. (0/1)
July 11, 2022
- PW Insider says WWE recently embarked on budget cuts no longer using Curtis Axel and Ariya Daivari as producers.
- Budget cuts were endemic at the time. I hope they don’t come back, because I’m sure many rehired talents dread it.
- They also say because of these cuts, there was an issue with the producers being what has been described as “too overworked”.
- Seems like a great work environment.
- Fightful Select says Vince McMahon was scheduled to fly to Vancouver next SmackDown To meet John Cena.
- I don’t know about it, but he celebrated his birthday with Big Match John after he quit.
- Fightful also says the original plan for raw Last week, Otis was scheduled to vomit out of Chad Gable’s shoes instead of what to go with.
- Vince loves his own vomit.
- For what it’s worth, Marco Stant told The Ten Count on NBC Sports Boston that Paul White floated an idea to be his best friend on AEW TV at one point but it clearly never came to fruition.
- It could have been something. Paul White doesn’t really have a TV presence.
July 12, 2022
- A “WWE source” told PW Insider that they’ve never heard Liv Morgan’s louder pops than she received on weekends at house shows. This person also told the site that “it was obvious looking in the crowd that her wares were selling out in droves at events.”
- It’s great that she connects with the audience. I don’t think she has everything it takes to be a champion in the long run, but she at least got her time to share it with her fans.
- The Wall Street Journal’s Joe Palazzolo and Ted Mann were on Busted Open on Monday to talk about breaking Vince McMahon’s financial scandal. In terms of the impact of the story, they believe that “anyone dealing with it [WWE] take notice of her.”
- When it comes to selling, scandals of silence and accusations of allegations don’t seem to matter. It’s all about money in the end.
- When asked if more allegations are coming, Palazzolo & Mann said their reporting “may not be finalized yet,” but don’t expect anything bigger than a $7.5 million settlement with a wrestler who they report was demoted and not re-signed after the relationship was dismissed. Sex with McMahon.
- There were some bad things. Allegations of rape by Rita Chatterdon remain.
- In Sunday night’s main event, Dave Meltzer said Bryan Danielson has recovered from the injury he sustained in the Double or nothingbut Tony Khan “won’t rush him.”
- Yeah, you don’t want to rush someone like Brian, given the history he has.
- We finished up where we started with the weekend of the new SmackDown Women’s Champion, A.J section Morgan’s not-to-sell Natalya star on Saturday’s live Sacramento show went viral. None of the wrestlers commented on what happened or if there was an issue.
July 13, 2022
- Whatever it may be worth, BetOnline has all of the champions currently preferring to retain their titles at SummerSlam.
- That’s accurate. (1/1)
- Fightful Select says the talent they’re talking about hasn’t heard from anyone in WWE about a previously announced Women’s Tag Team Championship to crown new champions. It is still not clear what will happen with the women’s tag team titles.
- They came back when Triple H took creative charge.
- On Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer claimed that Io Shirai has “pretty much gone out the door” and is “pretty much gone”. For what it’s worth, Shirai appears to be responding by posting a tweet calling it a rumor and using a puke emoji.
- returned in summerslam. Again, this was when Triple H took over. (0/1)
- Meltzer also said that the situation at the WWE house show resulted in Natalya not selling Liv Morgan after it had nothing to do with any heat between the two.
- Again… weird.
- The Good Brothers will remain with Impact Wrestling until late this summer, at Fightful.
- This is the situation. They eventually returned to WWE. (1/1)
July 14, 2022
- Promoters who contacted Sasha Banks were told she would only take non-wrestling bookings through January 1, 2023, according to Fightful Select.
- That’s how I got off. Nothing wrestling related until the new year. (1/1)
- SI confirmed Fightul’s previous report that Vince McMahon yelled “FUCK EM!” When he got backstage after his June 17 appearance SmackDown In the aftermath of him stepping down as CEO and Chairman while his board investigates alleged sexual misconduct,” McMahon was repeatedly told “FUCK EM”—and then ended by saying, “Let’s do a show.”
- This damn guy.
- While the focus remains on recruiting athletes with the right look and training them to be wrestlers in WWE, Wrestling Observer Newsletter reports that some independent wrestlers will be invited to the just-announced company. summerslam the exams.
- It wouldn’t make sense not to try out notable independent wrestlers.
- On his Keepin’ It 100 podcast, Conan confirmed that Santana and Ortiz are “not on good terms”.
- That’s too bad considering the amount of business they’ve done as a team.
- WOW made Lita an “offer” about joining the company, at Fightful, but the WWE Hall of Famer made it clear that she would not be working with GLOW and WOW founder David McLane.
- Is there heat there?
This week: 6/8 – 75%
Total: 4,427 / 7,772 – 57.0%
Have a great week, everyone!