Welcome to the weekly Rumor Look Back, where we take a look back at the rumors from six months ago and see what played out as originally stated. Let’s jump straight to that.
July 1, 2022
- Sources tell Ariel Helwani that Logan Paul’s contract with WWE is “a multi-year deal to compete in multiple events each year.”
- He’s only worked in 2 games, but it’s only been 6 months now that he’s been injured in his last game.
- Regarding Santana’s grueling knee injury he suffered during AEW Blood & Guts, Wrestling Observer Live’s Bryan Alvarez said the first word is that he may have “torn multiple ligaments, ACLs, MCLs, anything in there”.
- We haven’t seen him since. I hope he recovers well.
- Dave Meltzer of Wrestling Observer Radio said WWE is considering call-ups to the main roster of NXT wrestlers Sanga and Xyon Quinn. WWE truly believes that Quinn is “the complete package”.
- None of these wrestlers are on the main roster. (0/2)
- Post Wrestling’s John Bullock heard that Triple H wasn’t at this week’s NXT taping, despite last week claiming he was back.
- Definitely not coming back as John Wick is back.
- Meltzer said at one point that the plan in AEW was to use Kenny Omega and The Young Bucks as “catalysts” for new Triple Crown titles, after Omega returned from injury.
- That’s what happened. Then they had to give them up because of the Brawl Out drama. (1/1)
July 2, 2022
- Wrestling Observer Newsletter noted that John Cena’s next WWE match, which was rumored to be against Theory later this month in summerslammay be delayed until next year time WrestleMania 39.
- It does not happen in summerslambut we don’t know what the former face running the place will do WrestleMania (if something happens). Theory is possible, but we’ve also heard GUNTHER and Logan Paul.
- According to Fightful, there are serious talks in WWE to call up Solo Sikoa (brother of the Usos) from NXT to the main roster.
- It happened in Clash in the castle. (1/1)
- The original plan was for the Young Bucks to win the IWGP Heavyweight Championships forbidden doorAccording to WON. This would have set up a future match with the AEW Tag Champions, but The Bucks were willing to change it to an FTR win, and a final match between the two teams with all four belts (AAA, AEW, ROH, and IWGP) on the line.
- Unfortunately, the latter did not happen either. FTR has dropped all of their gold, most likely because their contract is about to expire. (0/1)
- injured on Wednesday dynamite In the news, attention was drawn to the possibility of Santana being unhappy in AEW. This tweet is being interpreted as a countdown to the expiration of his contract.
- It’s a shock that he and Ortiz didn’t win the AEW titles at all, being one of the few tag teams on day one.
- There’s also speculation, amplified by a discussion about Fightful’s YouTube review of Blood & Guts, that there is a falling out of some kind between Santana and Ortiz. It was indicated that they had not worked as a two-man team in months, and no longer stood next to each other at the group’s shows. Santana was taking freelance bookings without Ortiz.
- This is a shame if true. who do you know They may have never been this close, but they’ve worked together for so long that it’s likely there was a close bond at some point.
July 4, 2022
- On Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer said the current plan is for Liv Morgan to match Ronda Rousey for the SmackDown Women’s Championship at summerslam.
- That’s what they did. Liv kept but was eavesdropping as she did. (1/1)
- Fightful Select tells the mysterious short story that aired during Money in the bank It was for Edge.
- That was for Edge. (1/1)
- According to WrestleVotes, Stephanie McMahon held a company wide meeting before Money in the bank It was “generally well received”. PW Insider said the meeting was about pushing that WWE is “one big family”.
- I wonder how popular she is among the talents.
- Per Meltzer on WOR, there are some in WWE who have a high crush on Montez Ford and want to push him as an individual superstar, “especially with his new physique.”
- I still think this is in his future.
- finishes for Money in the bank The wrestlers weren’t told until the day of the show, Fightful says.
- Keeping information confidential should help prevent leaks. I know the work is going on because of the leaks. Hell, we capitalize on this news and always pass the rumor around here, but as a fan, it would be nice if you were more surprised.
July 5, 2022
- While discussing why Logan booked Paul as a baby boy on Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer said it was because Paul “is the one calling the shots” in his dealings with WWE, and he wants to be presented as a good guy.
- I understand giving the talent some input, but there is no lovable Logan Paul universe. If that’s true, then they need to get their foot in there somewhere. Logan Paul heel. His true personality dictates that. He is a pseudo-YouTube personality and has recently come into heat for his NFT-turned-game Some crypto scams This costs people a bunch of money. Puerto Rico is used as a tax haven then Bad Builder accused (who unlike Paul is Puerto Rican) is of the same when called. It’s kind of a selling point, and while I certainly don’t think he’s excluded from being in WWE (he’s actually pretty good at wrestling), he should take the “babyface” out of the equation.
- A source identified as “Photographer Ronda Rousey” claimed in an Instagram story that Rousey didn’t “want or ask to be champion” in WWE, and “asked” her to drop the SmackDown Women’s Title to the most excited member of the locker room.
- Unreputable source.
- On Wrestling Observer Live, Andrew Zarian said the announcement of Ring of Honor death before shame This came shortly after he was told by a source that Warners Discovery would “love” more PPVs from AEW.
- The introduction of ROH into AEW TV, at least for me, has hampered their product in general. She is very confused. It’s not bad but it should be simpler.
- Zarian speculated death before shame Broadcast via Bleacher Report could be a sign of Tony Khan & Warners signing a TV deal or a live broadcast of ROH: “I don’t know this, but I wouldn’t be surprised if there was an advertisement in the PPV.
- There has been no announcement yet. (0/1)
- Andrade & Rush’s match against the Lucha Bros was scheduled to take place last week dynamitebut was denied due to a health issue in Rey Fenix, according to the Wrestling Observer newsletter.
- It eventually happened in Quake By the Lake.
July 6, 2022
- On Wrestling Observer Radio, Dave Meltzer indicated that Riddle vs Seth Rollins is a plan summerslam.
- It does not happen in summerslam. They ran at an angle, but the match didn’t happen there. Riddle has since been suspended for failing a drug test amid sexual assault allegations. (0/1)
- GiveMeSport says that Tyson Fury is in talks with WWE about returning, possibly for something in the future. Clash in the castle The event is in early September.
- Fury was in the crowd and sang in the ring with Drew afterwards, but I wouldn’t consider that a “comeback.” (0/1)
- For what it’s worth, Tony Khan told The Masked Man Show that he would be open to talking about doing a joint show with AEW and WWE but he doesn’t think it will happen.
- I highly doubt this will ever happen.
- Ringside News claims Theory was always going to win the men’s Money in the Bank ladder match and there was no set plan for Cody Rhodes to win, even before he got hurt.
- That was a very bad ending. This was Vince’s version of the theory.
- Journalist Adam Cailler claimed he was told the WES premiere, scheduled for 9 July 2022, had sold fewer than 350 tickets for the 10,000 seat arena in Nottingham.
- have been cancelled.
July 7, 2022
- Buff Bagwell has been trending after it was revealed that the wrestler wasn’t the one to post the wrestling, pro-LGBTQ views and other progressive messages that made his official Twitter account so popular this year. This came about in part because the fans did not receive the merchandise they had paid for.
- I remember enjoying the fake Buff Bagwell, but I wasn’t surprised to learn it wasn’t him at all.
- The person who ran the account and Buff’s merchandise operation, an associate whom Bagwell knew as “Michael Long”, is alleged to be a registered sex offender.
- “Buff doesn’t say those blanket things, people appreciate him for that and the guy who was actually a sex offender had a falling out with Buff over T-shirt sales.” What a Carney job.
- In keeping with an earlier rumor about Colt Cabana re-signing with AEW, Fightful Select reports that Cabana was not expected to be offered a new contract until he “went to the racket” for it. Cabana is said to be very popular behind the scenes, but “almost” doesn’t appear on the recordings – possibly due to his controversial relationship with CM Punk.
- This will not come back to haunt anyone.
- Despite Triple H’s return, PW Insider says the creativity of NXT hasn’t changed with Bruce Prichard and Shawn Michaels in charge, Johnny Russo as head writer, and Nick Bonanno and George Carroll completing the team.
- Triple H never came back, though we don’t know if he would have if he hadn’t taken over creative WWE.
- WWE promotes success Money in the bank Behind the scenes, Fightful Reporting executives were told the 2022 edition was the “most watched” in the event’s history, and had the “second highest gate” of all time. Money in the bank Watch.
- Interesting – I don’t remember it being more than usual.
This week: 4/10 – 40% off
Total: 4,421 / 7,763 – 56.9%
Have a great week everyone!